For undocumented survivors of gender-based violence, immigration services are a crucial part of the long-term journey to safety and independence. We offer free immigration law services to people who have experienced gender-based violence.

We are a Department of Justice-recognized provider of immigration services and can assist with:

  • U Visa, a way for non-citizen victims of certain crimes, including gender-based violence, to get legal status in the U.S.
  • VAWA self-petition, a way to get the immigration status that an abusive family member could have gotten for you, but did not.
  • Battered Spouse Waiver, a way for those who already have a conditional status to continue the process to get legal status in the U.S. without the help of their abusive spouse.
  • Affirmative and Defensive Asylum, for survivors of gender-based violence who fear returning to their home country.
  • Non-detained Removal Defense for survivors of gender-based violence who are presently in immigration court proceedings 

How to get help

Please call our team at (312) 971-5932 or fill out our intake form (Spanish version available here) and email it to

get help now


if you are in immediate danger


24/7 Illinois Domestic Violence Hotline


(877) 863-6338

Orders of Protection

Ascend Justice Remote OP Hotline:
Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm